Welly, welly, welly, welly, well... Which, for those of you in the know, is a catchphrase from
the lead character in an Anthony Burgess novel made into a film by Stanley Kubrick. Which has
absolutely no bearing whatsoever on last night's quiz at the Lion & Crown in Allen, but is a saying
which Quiz Master Lou uses when he's feeling mischievous. And QM Lou was feeling mischievous after
having a few belts of what he believes was a conspiracy between the bartending team of Kito and
Derek to gradually increase the alcohol content of his drinks last night. Having been slowly
pickled by those two publicans, the night seemed to get incrementally more pixie-like as the quiz
Observations on a quiz:
1. Movie advertising works, particularly in a sports bar with a dozen large screen TVs. A
commercial for The Nun came on during the game! Nuff said.
2. Galileo's scandal stole some of Copernicus' thunder on the heliocentric thing, centuries later.
3. Ice-T, Ice Cube, Vanilla Ice, it's still rapper rap to me! (with apologies to Billy Joel)
4. As many guessed General Ackbar as guessed Admiral Ackbar, making QM Lou believe that the day
the Army vs. Navy contest for control of Space Force is closer than you think!
5. Pac-Man fruits? What can I say? Except that it reminded me of the story of the Lumberjack who
went into the magic forest to cut down a tree. Just as he was about to strike with his axe, the
tree cried out, "Wait! Stop! I'm a talking tree!" To which Mr. Lumberjack replied, "And you
On a more somber note, we all lifted our glasses to Burt Reynolds, who passed yesterday. May his
cloud in heaven bear that Pontiac Trans-Am emblem. Have a great weekend everyone!